Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Week #1 - Mexico City MTC - August 7, 2014

Dear Family and Friends, 

My stay here at the CCM (MTC) this past week has been amazing! I didn't have my P-Day last Thursday because there was too much to do! I will try my best to remember everything this week so bear with me...

In the Detroit Metro Airport there was a bunch of missionaries waiting for the flight when I got there. They were all pretty friendly and came up and introduced themselves to me. They seemed to know each other so when I asked, they said they were all from Arizona and they also knew each others friends. All together there was 5 of us and a sister from Chicago.

The flight to Mexico City was pretty relaxing. I sat between 2 guys, one was Hispanic and didn't really understand English very well. The other was a salesman on a business trip. I immediately introduced myself to avoid any awkwardness. The Hispanic didn't seem to really understand me plus he just listened to music the whole fight anyways. I talked to the salesman a lot. He immediately recognized me as a missionary of the church even though I didn't have my tag yet. He told me he was from Novi and his neighbors were Mormon (maybe someone we know, but I forgot to ask who it was). We talked a lot about religion and I told him about Joseph Smith and the first vision. At the end of the flight, I gave him a Restoration of the Gospel pamphlet that the missionaries from my home ward gave to me.

When we got to Mexico City, getting our bags and going through customs was surprisingly easy. We had to wait a while for other missionaries from other flights to arrive before we left. We got on a bus that drove us to the CCM. But let just say, Mexico City is chaotic! There seems to be no laws when it comes to driving in Mexico. Everyone cuts each other off, and every few miles or so a policeman speed past with his sirens blaring. There were also a lot of traffic jams. So it was very interesting to see such a difference right away! 

When we first arrived at the CCM, I thought it was a high security prison or something. It is surrounded by huge walls with barb wire across the top of it. The CCM can be best described as a gated community in the middle of shack town! 

Here in Mexico it rains all time! I got completely soaked when I first arrived! Not fun in a white shirt and tie. Haha! It was also very confusing at first because noone really explained much about what we needed to do and just kind of expected you to figure everything out. I didn't find my companion for the long time, but since I had to be with someone b/c of the mission rules, I tagged along with the other people I met on the plane. Everything worked out though.

Speaking of my companion, he is a genius! He is super smart and way better at Spanish then me! And he talks...a lot! He is a really cool guy though, especially to have to deal with me all the time. Haha! 

Here at the CCM there is a pretty tight schedule that they expect you to follow and it took some getting use to. For meals, there is a lot of Mexican food...duh! But I'm really enjoying it! I seem to be the only one because every else complains about the food...

Spanish is...hard! I have been having a hard time with it but I'm slowly getting better. It's hard to pray in Spanish and get exactly what you feel and what you want to say out. I kind of have to switch from Spanish to English a lot when I pray! 

Mostly everyday day is the same except Sunday. We have devotionals and a General Authority came and spoke to us! And on Tuesday, we also have devotionals and General Authorities speak to us. Cool!

I have made some great friends so far! In a way, being here is kind of like being at EFY except instead of companies, we have zones - more specifically a district. Instead of dances, we learn a new language. Instead of game night and variety show, we have devotionals. And instead of a roomate, we have companions...so, not too much like EFY but it was the best comparison I could make! Haha! 

It has been so fun and spiritual though! Today we visited the Mexico city temple but we couldn't go inside because its closed for cleaning. I have a bunch of pictures from today. The mission president said we can only take pictures on P-day. 

Anyway, I only have an hour to write and I don't have much time left. I love you all! It has been so great here! I enjoyed all your letters! Thank you so much for writing me! It means a lot! I hope you all enjoy your week. Until next Thursday...

Spencer Dyal

Spencer and his companion on the MTC bus going to see the Mexico City Temple
August 7, 2014

Mexico City Temple

 Spencer at the Mexico City Temple





No comments:

Post a Comment