Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week #3 - Mexico City MTC - August 21, 2014

Hey all,

No pictures this week! Spencer forgot to bring the camera cord to plug into the computer. He promised to send a bunch next week though. Speaking of pictures, I labeled his pictures wrong last week. I put Elder Winn (one of his favorite elders in his district) underneath a picture of him and his companion getting ready to go to the gym. So, I uploaded a picture of him and the actual Elder Winn and added it to last week's pictures, so check that out. I also forgot to add a picture of Spencer in front of the Mexico City temple and a picture of him and his mission district on the week of August 7, so I added those pictures as well.

I am very grateful for prayer and know that our prayers are with Spencer. Joshua felt the prayers that we said for him as he was hiking last week in Utah. He had several instances where he slipped on some gravel and could have really gotten hurt, but had a strong impression that he was kept safe because his family was praying for him. I know the same goes for Spencer as we pray for his well-being, safety, and as he is learning and growing in the MTC in preparation for his mission in Ecuador.

Thanks so much for your love and support!

Love, Julie

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Family and Friends,

Everyone in my district is getting excited because yesterday was our halfway point in the CCM! Wow! Seriously! Has it really been that long...where has the time gone? Haha!

Anyway last week pretty much after I finished writing emails on Thursday (I’m sorry if I didn’t reply to some of your emails…My district leader was really pushing us to stop cuz we only have an hour!), we played soccer with a team of natives...Goodness it was terrible! The score was like 15 to 2. Although I felt pretty good about it because 1 out of every 3 times that they would do a fancy trick, I would steal the ball. I crossed them over a few times…2 of them at one point. Ha! Didn't really make much of difference in the score though, but it was cool!

Mexico City never ceases to amaze me! Like every Saturday night there are a bunch of fire works shooting off…at least I like I think they are fire works! It sometimes makes it hard to sleep. My casa is on the northwest part of the CCM, and other houses outside of the CCM are really close to ours. We can hear a lot of what goes on outside in the city. So last Saturday, we could hear what a Mexican party sounds like. We were surprised by all the American music that we heard. David Guetta and Black Eyed Peas. Haha! Not exactly what I want to hear on my mission or at 11 o’clock at night either!

Speaking of sleep, I´m pretty much my room’s alarm clock. When my alarm goes off, I’m the only one who gets up. I wake up earlier than everyone else in the morning to take a shower. Everyone else sleeps as long as possible. Even though my roommates all have their own alarm clock, they don’t get up until I turn on the lights at 6:30. Haha! I like to think of myself as their alarm clock.  

On a slightly more spiritual note, usually on Sunday we always go to church, and then we have 2 devotionals and a movie. We had an awesome devotional this last Sunday. It was actually a recording of a devotional given by Elder Holland. We also had another devotional by one of President Pratt’s counselors in the mission presidency. He talked about giving “specific” prayers, rather than generalized ones. He shared the story of Issac and Rebekah and how he met her right after he finished his prayer. It was pretty cool. He then challenged us to all give very specific prayers, not general ones, so I have been trying to take his advice. It’s been helpful and I’ve been very grateful for that this week. Although, another group of guys in my casa asked specifically to have spicy chicken as a meal this week. Yeah, and it worked! We had spicy chicken yesterday! Haha! Anyway, I encourage all of you to try it…Try to ask the Heavenly Father for specific things you may need help with in your life. It’s been helping me a lot this week. (The Isaac and Rebekah story is at the end of Genesis in the Bible.)

My Spanish has gotten considerably better. And by that I mean I can sometimes get my point across now. But it’s better than it was! We teach fake investigators, which are my district’s morning and afternoon teachers, Hermano Salvador and Hermana García. They are really great and sweet teachers. Although Hermano Salvador makes us do push ups and run laps if we do stuff the wrong way! I guess I do lots of push ups and running…Haha! Hermana García is super nice though! I’m sure I would think she was even nicer if I could understand everything she said! :) 

I wish I could describe the spirit here to everyone! Those of you who have spent time in an MTC probably know what I mean. It’s so amazing! The Lord has blessed me sooooo incredibly. It’s crazy! I can’t believe how much I have progressed with Spanish just in 3 weeks! Since I have been a missionary, I have seen the Lord’s hand in my life constantly! It’s as if angels are here with all of us!

As always, I miss everyone so much! I wish I had more time to write. Everyday here is mostly the same, but in the best way possible! …Spanish, Book of Mormon, food, more Spanish, more book of Mormon, food, and sleep… That’s it! Isn’t that great?? Anyway I love you all! Thank you for your letters and emails! It always makes my P day! 

Elder Dyal


2 comments:

  1. He sounds like he's doing great! I'm happy for him. I'm like you, grateful for prayer. What a privilege and blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does sound like he is doing really well! What a blessing and a relief for me as his mother! Thanks for your comment and also for reading!

      Delete