Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Week #9 - Cayambe, Ecuador - September 29, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

Well, a lot went on this week. Its hard to remember everything but I will try my best.

We kind of started off the week in trouble. My companion somehow misplaced 20 dollars that we were going to use to help pay a ridiculously expensive electricity bill. We were also waiting to receive a 20 dollar reimbursement from the church. I was really worried about money and how we were going to pay for our bill and still have money for food and other stuff this week! While we were waiting and trying to figure out what to do, by a miracle and because of kindness, we received 10 dollars from our zone leaders and we got our reimbursement today, just in time for us to buy food and things we need for this next week! 

I've had some weird and awkward experiences speaking Spanish this week. While visiting one of the members in our area, we entered his house and he said to me "I live here." But I thought he asked me if I live here (like if I am from Ecuador). I should have thought a little before I answered because usually members know that missionaries are not called to the area where they live, plus I do not look Ecuadorian at all. So I tried to explain to him that no, I am from the United States and not from here, and my companion started laughing. I realized what he said...yeah slightly embarrassing...haha! 

At the beginning of my mission, President Richardson told us that the Latin missionaries will help the North Americans with Spanish but he also wanted us to teach them English. I have been concentrating most of my efforts since being with my companion on learning Spanish, but this week he wanted me to help him with English. The best possible way to describe his English is that it is not good at all! Just a few examples...Once when we were on a crowded bus, he tried to say, "This bus sucks!" Instead he said, "Sucks bus!" Or, when we had a District meeting, some of us convinced him to try the spiritual moment in English. So he went up to read something from Preach my Gospel, then looked up at the ceiling and mumbled "Como es..." under his breath, then said "How......" and just stood there for like 30 seconds. He gave up and just said his spiritual moment in Spanish. Another time, we went to the District leaders house to eat lunch and my companion was asking me which plate I wanted to use. He assumed I didn't understand what he was saying (even though I did...he only said one word - cualquiera). So then he tried to say it in English and he said, "How want eat." Oh my goodness! We don't let him forget that one. Haha!

Speaking of my companion, I haven't really said much about him. He is awesome! And he is quite the jokester...like all the time! Haha! But yeah, he is super nice, very selfless, and one of the nicest guys I have met. He is also convinced he is going come to the U.S and marry a "gringa." That's why he is determined to learn English! Haha! Its funny because other Latinos even make fun of his English. I guess you cant blame him because I am the first American companion he has had. Apparently I am also his best companion...at least that is what he told me. I don't know about that one though! Haha!

I dont know why I always have trouble sending photos. I wanted to send photos today of our P-day. We went to the mountains and it was fun and really beautiful. I also have pictures of our baptism on Saturday. We baptized a boy named Anderson David. I don't really know a lot about him. He had already committed to baptism by the time I met him, so I never taught him. He is 15 years old and the first member of his family to be baptized so now we are trying to get his sister and mom baptized. Anyways, I really love it here in Ecuador but I also miss all you guys! Last week, I could literally feel the prayers from everyone because all of a sudden my Spanish was noticeably better. I knew it was the Lord helping me because of your prayers. Thank you so much. I love you guys <3


Elder Dyal




No comments:

Post a Comment