Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Week #11 - Cayambe, Ecuador - October 13, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

I hope everyone is doing well! I got one of the family letters this week. It was great! I think just about everyone mentioned that Guardians of the Galaxy was a really good movie! Haha! If I remember right, the preview looking kinda weird! Anyway, I loved it and I love getting letters from you! It was great! It did make me a little homesick. I miss everyone so much. For me, this week has been more or less an interesting one...

Since the branch found out I play piano, Presidente Quishpe asked that I basically play in almost every calling that someone has to play the piano. So I play piano in sacrament meeting, priesthood and choir. I have to play on a keyboard which is a little more difficult because there aren't any pedals. Oh well! Everyone is so fascinated by it though. Before sacrament, little kids as well as adults will sit by me and just watch me play. Everyone tells me they want to learn to play piano. So, the district leaders had an idea recently to get non members to church...They thought it would be good to have English classes where Elder Webber and I would teach. We also thought we could have classes to teach piano where I would teach. I hope it works out! I'll let you know. Also I play for our choir. The choir director, who is very grateful to have a semi-capable pianist now, wants me to help more than I am able to give. But I play for them after church on Sundays and after ward council every Wednesday.

Also this week, I got sick and was having to make more trips to the bathroom than anyone would ever want to. :( Ugh! Sometimes that's hard when you are in the middle of nowhere... :p But luckily today, after a good night sleep, I felt a lot better.

Also, I don't know if it was some holiday or what but there has been more celebration here in Cayambe than usual! A few days ago, the Ministerio del Deporte had a parade with a bunch of cheerleaders, a high school band and drumline, and a bunch of little kids in soccer uniforms. The same day, as we were on our way to Otavalo for a district meeting, we were held up by a bunch cyclists on the road. It looked like a race or something. Also, there was a traveling carnival that was put up somewhat near our house last week.

This week we didn't end up having a baptism like we had planned. Unfortunately the investigators who were supposed to get baptized haven't been attending church after they commit to baptism. Teaching and getting them to believe the things we teach, and even getting them to commit to baptism, hasn't been the hardest part of missionary work. It's been getting our investigators to church! If they don't come to church, we can't baptize them no matter how much of a testimony they have. But this next week there is a baptism that is planned for some other investigators that we have. They have been coming to church so it looks like that one will happen.

Anyway, things are great here, besides getting sick! I love Ecuador and its people! Thank you as always for your prayers! I love you guys! Have an awesome week! 


Elder Dyal 


Spencer at the Cayambe parade







No comments:

Post a Comment