Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Week #15 - Cayambe, Ecuador - November 10, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

So, it has been a better week. Thanks for all the encouraging emails. I had some interesting things happen to me this week...

One day last week, my companion and I were teaching some new investigators, a husband and wife. During the lesson the wife's parents came over and sat down to listen as well. Actually, they mostly slept during the lesson. But when they were awake, the Grandma said some weird things to me, like how my skin matches my shirt....and how she thinks "gringos" are more good looking than Latinos....She also told me she wanted a picture of me to show her kids. I guess I was kind of flattered...? Although it was kind of creepy because she went on and on about it and she is like 80 years old. Anyway, we left and returned a few days later to invite them to church on Sunday, but the husband was completely drunk, so that became a dead end and didn't work out. 

We also took a trip to Otavalo for meetings this week. We had training with the Mission President and the assistants. It went well. The following day we had individual interviews with the President. The day after that, we ended up having a mini-conference with the zone leaders and the assistants. It gave me a much needed spiritual boost and it was nice to see everyone again.

Also it has been raining so much here! It has rained almost every single day!! One of the days it was cold enough to hail. It happened while we were out and somehow the hail got into our house! Hahaha! Not quite sure how it happened, but we were lucky nothing got wet or ruined. :p

We have an investigator named Antonio who we were going to baptize last Saturday. We went to visit him the morning of his baptism and his family told us that he left for Quito and was going to be gone all weekend. I guess he forgot to tell us. His family doesn't really like us or the idea of him leaving the Catholic church, so when we arrived his wife decided to give us back the Book of Mormon that we gave him. And she told not to come back. Hmm....well, we aren't going to give up on him. We will have to go back this week and hopefully he will be home. :p But, once again his baptismal date has to be pushed back. I just hope that he doesn't get to discouraged about the church since his family isn't supportive. He would be an excellent member of the church. The last time he came to church, he brought one of his friends.

Our other amazing investigator didn't come to church on Sunday because he is a fireman and sometimes he has to work on Sunday. He told us he feels really bad about missing church, so hopefully he will be there next Sunday. He is a great guy.

Anyway, thanks again for your emails and prayers for me. You guys are all amazing! Thank you so much! Have a great week!

Elder Dyal


This was Spencer's caption for this picture -- 
"My companion was voted "mas chito" in our zone, or the person with the least amount of money... 
I on the other hand try to be careful with my money!" 


Spencer in Cayambe at dusk, with the beautiful Cayambe Volcano in the distance






No comments:

Post a Comment