Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Week #16 - Cayambe, Ecuador - November 17, 2014

Last week, our former bishop passed away from complications of prostate cancer. It was a very hard blow to our ward, especially since he was so young (50 yrs old) and has two kids who are currently on a mission. He was released as bishop last May because the cancer was making it hard for him to continue with his calling. Our family attended his funeral last Saturday. When Spencer was a priest in the young men's program, Spencer was his first assistant. Bishop Gillespie also wrote several recommendations for Spencer -- for Eagle scout, for college, and for his lifeguard job. He also interviewed him and helped him fill out his mission papers. Spencer really looked up to him, and Bishop Gillespie thought very highly of Spencer as well. I knew it would be a shock to Spencer when we told him of Bishop Gillespie's passing in our emails this week. Anyway, Spencer mentions his death in this email, so I wanted to clarify why Bishop Gillespie was so dear and important to him.



Dear Family and Friends,

Oh no! I'm not going to have enough time to write a very long email to the family because we were late getting to writing today!! Ahhhhh! Goodness, I'm sorry yet again! Ugh! I will try to write quickly!!! 

My week has actually been really great! We had 3 investigators attend church last Sunday as well as a lot of less actives! There is one investigator that Elder Arcaya and I taught who would always argue with us that all the churches in the world are true but that he was open to learning about the churches he didn't know much about. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned him in one of my letters to you guys before. Anyway, it was really hard to teach him because instead of a lesson, we would get an argument which didn't bring the spirit that is needed to testify of the truth of the things we are trying to teach him. But now after he has gone to church about 4 times now, he has changed so much! Every time I see him he has a smile on his face! And he doesn't argue with us anymore. He is very receptive to our lessons. And y
esterday, he accepted the invitation for baptism! Wow! I couldn't believe it! Very excited about that! It's been so cool that I have witnessed this change. He had a problem with alcohol which he is still working on and he doesn't drink coffee anymore. I hope that I have the chance to baptize him, but I will probably transfer areas in a few weeks, so I may not be able to even see his baptism at all.

I got the letter from the family and also letter from the Canton ward primary children this week! That surprised me especially Logan's letter. Haha...silly boy :p And oh my goodness, I can't believe that Bishop Gillespie died. I feel so extremely shocked and saddened. I almost didn't believe it when I read it! He was a great man. I will always remember all that he did for me. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have your father pass away while you are on your mission, so this must be really hard for Aldridge and Allie while they are on their missions :( I will be praying for their families!

I feel like my Spanish is getting much better lately. I still have to think about what I'm going to say before I say it, but I know that it has gotten so much better than when I first arrived in Ecuador. I have to keep looking at it that way instead of being frustrated because I want to speak better. I think I sometimes get frustrated because I want to rush it and be perfect at speaking Spanish. Being around native companions is good and bad. It's good because they help me to speak better, but bad because I see how much I don't know!

Well, I need to wrap up, but I want to send a picture at least. In the picture that I'm uploading is me and my companion in a place called Pingulmi with a member of our branch who likes to teach with us a lot here. His name is Akos and he is 15 years old. He is a really awesome kid and is excited to be a missionary someday. Also, it's actually kind of funny what he told us he wants to do for his profession someday. He wants to live in the United States and be party of the U.S Military. Haha! Interesting! 

Thanks for your prayers and letters! I feel the influence of your prayers in my life, so thanks a ton! Next week will be a better and longer letter. 

Elder Dyal


Elder Caballero, Elder Dyal and Akos
Akos is 15 years old and likes to tract with the missionaries in his branch





No comments:

Post a Comment