Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Week #17 - Cayambe, Ecuador - November 24, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

So this week most likely marks the end of me being in this area and my working with Elder Caballero. My district leader told me that it's very likely that I am going to transfer next week. I have really loved it here in Cayambe but I have been here for 3 months so I guess it's about time for a change. My companion said if I go to the coast or somewhere really far away I may not have much time to write on my P-days, if I have any time at all. I guess we will see...

My companion and district leader took it upon themselves to help me and the other North American missionary in Cayambe with our soccer skills. So every morning we have been waking up early, then we take a morning jog to the church and practice there for about an hour. I have definitely loved that they are doing this and I feel like I'm getting better at playing the game. But at the same time, I know there is so much more to learn since my companion said that it took him years to get good at certain soccer skills. I'm just grateful to be playing. I love playing soccer! 

A while ago, President and Sister Richardson talked to us about how we should be careful with what we eat, so my companion and I have completely changed the way that we have been eating for the better. I took it upon myself to learn how to make a certain juice that a lot of the members give us. There is a fruit here in Ecuador that I don't think we have in the States, but I could be wrong. It's called Tomate de √°rbol or tree tomato. I asked one of the less actives that we visit to tell me how to make this "juice" and he told me to just throw it in a blender. So without thinking much about it, I did exactly that and it tasted terrible. After a few more tries, I figured out that I needed to peel it first. So I did and it was better but it still tasted weird. So I talked to some other people who told me to try some sugar and a few other ingredients. Now after 3 weeks and some trial and error, I can finally make it! Haha! I do have to admit I have gotten better at cooking since being on a mission. When I first got here, I was almost dangerous in the kitchen (poor Elder Arcaya) but now I feel like I'm a lot better, and hopefully even better after 2 years!

Yesterday we had stake conference which was in Otavalo, an hour's drive away. In was really cool because President Richardson and his wife attended, as well as the temple president of the Guayaquil Temple. The stake president also gave some of his talk in Quichua, an Inca language spoken by an Indian population in Ecuador. Overall, the stake conference was really awesome, but since it is so far away from Cayambe, none of our investigators were able to attend, which was not so awesome. But it was nice that we were able to see some of the less active families that we visit pretty often there at conference, which was really good. 

We have not had any baptisms this week but we do have a lot more investigators. Lots of them have so much potential and I have a really good feeling that a lot of them will get baptized, maybe even before the end of December which means I probably won't be able to see them get baptized. I think it will be a little disappointing not seeing what happens to some of these investigators. I hope the best for all of them! 

Anyways, thank you as always for your prayers in my behalf. I hope you all have a great week! Thank you for all you do!!! 

Elder Dyal 


 Taking pictures after Stake Conference with
President and Sister Richardson, Danny Florez, Elder Cabellero and Elder Dyal

Spencer says that Danny Florez is a member in his branch who likes to teach with them a lot. 
He recently turned in his mission papers and is awaiting his own mission call.

The Guayaquil Temple President and his wife, Danny Florez, Elder Caballero and Elder Dyal





No comments:

Post a Comment