Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Week #22 - East Quito, Ecuador - December 29, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,

For me this has been probably one of the longest weeks I have had in a long time. Many interesting things have happened as well...

For Christmas and Christmas Eve, the president told us to be in our houses early. I guess there are some crazy traditions here in Ecuador. The parties are like non-stop and sometimes get out of control, although I've heard it's only going to get worse on New Years Day and New years eve. That should be interesting...

So this week, the zone leaders did something different at our zone meeting. The president told all the zone leaders to collect all of the USB and memory cards for cameras and/or computers, or anything else that holds memory from all the missionaries. I'm not sure why...Anyway, because of this I won't be able to send any pictures this week. I had a bunch I wanted to send from the p-day that I took to the "Middle if the World" (La Mitad del Mundo) last week. Hopefully I can send them next week, or until further notice...

This week has been a lot harder with missionary work. A lot of the people we are teaching, members and investigators, went to Otavalo, or to Esmeraldas which is on the coast. So instead, my companion and I have gone on a lot of divisions and took turns switching sectors helping each other.

There's a park where there is a lot of stray dogs in the other sector. Every time we walk around that park, there is a dog who follows us until we walk too far away from its "home." And every time it's the same dog who follows us. He will follow us to appointments we have with members and investigators, and once we are done we always find the same dog waiting for us outside the house. As we are sitting here reading our emails, the same dog is actually sitting outside waiting for us right now :p Funny!

I really want to thank everyone for your help and advice to me the last several weeks! You guys have really helped me. Apparently I'm not the only other missionary in this situation. There are 2 other Americans in my zone who are having lots of challenges with their companions too. We've talked with the more "experienced" missionaries and they have told us that the 3rd transfer in the field is always the hardest for many missionaries in this mission. One of the sister missionaries told me that the 3rd transfer is "the break it or make it" transfer. According to her, if you can get through your 3rd transfer, then you can get through the entire mission! Well only 2 more weeks with my current companion! I can do it :D Although I am deathly afraid that I will stay with him for 6 more weeks...or if I do transfer, get someone who is more disobedient, or someone who will hate me more...I guess we will see what happens...

I hope that you guys had a wonderful Christmas! This Christmas for me was definitely different from what I'm used to, but it has been great none the less. Thank you for your prayers and for your advice. You guys have definitely strengthened me. I love you all and I wish you all a happy New Year 2015!

Elder Dyal




No comments:

Post a Comment