Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Week #27 - East Quito, Ecuador - February 2, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

With every companion I've had in the mission so far, I have always had to change the way I eat a little bit. For example, with my first companion in Quito, we always ate very simply. Apparently a typical meal or snack in Chile is bread and coke. We always ate bread when I was with him. Now with my new companion, we are eating lots of different kinds of foods. He "consulted" me on how we need to eat healthier even if it's more expensive. So, now our trips to the grocery store are much longer than when I was with my other companion...It was almost a chore to get him to go shopping.

Speaking of foods, one thing I have really enjoyed making is juices of different fruits. Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, tomate de àrbol (tree tomato) and apple are my favorite juices. My companion taught me how to make beans for tacos the way he makes them in Honduras. Apparently they eat a lot of beans in Honduras. While I drink all my different kinds of juices, he always drinks this "traditional" drink from Honduras that's really bitter, and in my opinion is not very good. It always tastes exactly like the "traditional" drink from Paraguay that my other companion use to make. But my companion now insists it's much different. He also says it's good for you because it clears out your system. I think it is more of a bad thing because during every appointment he asks to use the bathroom. Sometimes more than once...

Also between my last 2 last transfers, we have had a lot of problems with our bathroom. When I first came here, the shower in our house had no heated water. It was like bathing in refrigerated water, which took a while to get used to. We found someone to come fix the shower but he didn't end up fixing it. I was the first to go in and the water was boiling hot for about 45 seconds then freezing cold again. After that experience, we couldn't get any hot water again. The same guy came about four weeks later and fixed it again and gave us instructions on how to keep the water warm. That first warm shower was like heaven after having freezing cold showers for almost 2 months and luckily, it's stayed warm so far.

Now that we have the shower fixed, this week the toilet was having problems! Water kept leaking from the bottom of it making the bathroom a pool. We had people come fix it twice, but it's still acting a little weird when we flush it, but luckily no floods. I hope that's the last of our bathroom problems!

So during our last P-day, we went to Cumbayà, the richest part of Quito, for a zone activity that was scheduled. I really wanted and needed a hair cut, so after the activity we looked for places where I could get it cut. After searching for a good and cheap place, and finding that every place was ridiculously expensive, we went to a poorer part of Cumbayà. We found what I thought was a good place. It looked okay and was much cheaper than the other places, although it was a tad bit sketchy. The lady who cut my hair did it extremely fast and weird. I have never seen anyone cut hair like she did. I should have known something was wrong when she didn't show me what my hair looked like in the back. But everything looked fine in the front so I was satisfied. It wasn't till the end of the day that my companion said something was wrong. He took a picture of the back of my head and showed it to me. At the back of my head, along the base of my hair line, it was cut very uneven and there was a little bald spot! According to my companion, everyone was literally laughing behind my back, even people in the mall we went to. So to prevent further laughter about my hair, I bought a scarf the next day to hide the back of my hair. At first, my companion thought it looked dumb but after a few days, he was asking to borrow it. I have to admit, I really have fallen in love with my scarf and it keeps my neck very warm. I think even after my hair grows in, I will still wear scarfs! :p

Anyway that's a little bit of what has been going on here. I wish you all a great week. Until next Monday...

Elder Dyal




Elder Dyal with Elder Nogales from Chile (on the right) and Elder Ladines from Ecuador (on the left)
Also with Elder Ladines' family who came and picked him up at the end of his mission

Elder Dyal with his buddies Elder Colfack and Elder Vellinga

Elder Dyal in front of the Quicentro mall in Quito

In the "San Francisco" outdoor mall in Cumbaya
(notice the scarf that he spoke of around his neck)




No comments:

Post a Comment