Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Week #30 - Calderón, Ecuador - February 23, 2015

Dear Family and friends,

So this last week has been an interesting one as Carnival has finally been slowing down and coming to an end. Carnival is basically like a Mardi Gras celebration, so to speak. All the fun stuff that everyone does during Carnival is pretty cool, although not while you are always wearing a white shirt and tie. And getting sprayed with foam or getting water dumped on you doesn't sound very fun either. But everyone around here seemed to love it. Tuesday was the last day of Carnival, and we were teaching this guy who works in a Cyber or internet store, and we kept seeing people walking by the store and they were soaking wet. We finally asked why they were so wet, and the investigator said that on the roof of the bakery around the corner, some guys were dumping buckets of water onto the people that were walking by. They soaked one guy who was wearing a suit and everything! Wow! Besides that poor guy, it was actually pretty funny! :p

This week we had changes and my companion and the zone leaders all kept telling me that I would probably go to Esmeraldas, or the coast, which is one of the more dangerous parts of the mission. I actually had a pretty good feeling that I wouldn't be going there, although I knew I would be moved to a new area. Now I'm in Calderón, which is on the northeast outskirts of Quito. My sector is in a rural area again which I really like. My new companion is Elder Galiego who is from Guatemala

It was a bit sad to leave La Luz, but I had a hard time there, although I learned a lot. It was hard finding and teaching investigators, but I also had a tough time in my ward and with both of my companions. The ward was very hard to work with even though I really liked a lot of the members. And I didn't really talk about the problems I had with my last companion, but it wasn't much of an improvement from my first companion in this area. We had a hard time seeing eye to eye and connecting sometimes, but I think that can be normal most of the time while on a mission.

Needless to say I was kinda nervous for this change, but everyone tells me that the ward is really awesome and my companion is "tranquilo" so I'm VERY hopeful for a good change! 

Other than that, it has been a pretty normal week. My former companion says there will be a baptism soon. We found a family a few weeks before I left who moved to La Luz from Esmeraldas who was really interested in the church and was attending church every week. So I'm glad my work in La Luz hasn't been all in vain.

I hope all of you guys have a wonderful week. I'm so thankful for everything you guys do for me and for your prayers on my behalf. Thank you so much! Until next week...

Elder Dyal

Spencer and Elder Nogales at the tourist site "Ciudad Mitad del Mundo" in Quito
("The Middle of the World")

 Spencer at the La Scala Mall in Cumbaya

 One of Spencer's best buds, Elder Saravia

 The zone leaders, Elder Gebs and Elder Castillo

 Zona Quito Este (minus 2 people)

 Cotopoxi Volcano which is an active volcano. It is about 30 miles south of Quito.

Spencer with the Cotopoxi Volcano in the background

 Spencer (and his current companion Elder Galiego) ran into his first companion and trainer, Elder Arcaya (and his current companion Elder Richey), at the church offices in Quito today.

 Spencer (and his current companion Elder Galiego) ran into his first companion and trainer, Elder Arcaya (and his current companion Elder Richey), at the church offices in Quito today.

  Spencer and Elder Arcaya at the church offices in Quito today.

 Spencer and Elder Arcaya's companion Elder Richey, at the church offices in Quito today.




No comments:

Post a Comment