Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Week #32 - Calderón, Ecuador - March 9, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

My week has been pretty awesome! Although the highlights were mostly on the weekend.

Last Saturday we had a stake activity which was called "Puertas Abiertas" (Open Doors). The members in the stake invited non member friends to the stake center and showed them around, talked about the church, and of course there was lots of food! It's interesting to see that no matter where in the world you are, having lots of food at church activities is a tradition that will never change. :p All the missionaries in the Calderón zones were there. Both Calderón Oeste and Calderón Este were there. Some of the missionaries stayed in the building and talked to people, and others were on the street next to the church inviting them to the activity. To my surprise, my old companion Elder Caballero was there. I knew that he was in the Calderón Oeste zone so I was hoping to see him there. It was awesome talking to him again. He told me some bad news about my first area though. Apparently, the converts that Elder Arcaya and I baptized in Cayambe (my first companion and area) are not active anymore and he has no idea why. That definitely was not fun to hear. Very disappointing. :(

And on Sunday, we had the stake presidency come to our ward and speak. And then the wife of the ward mission leader in the ward came up to us during the second hour and asked us to help out in primary. The primary kids are learning the song "Follow the Prophet" and she wanted me and my companion to dress up as Adam and Enoch. My companion had to do a baptismal interview during that time, so instead one of the zone leaders, Elder Ramponi and I did it. All of the kids immediately knew that we were the missionaries even though we were dressed up. The teachers tried telling them that the prophets look very similar to the missionaries, but they kept yelling out that we were the missionaries! I was surprised at how many of them knew my name but didn't know Elder Ramponi's name! Haha! I was Enoch and he was Adam. The kids seemed to be confused about Adam because according to them, Adam didn't have a beard (see attached picture :p). 

I'm so happy that we have awesome ZL's now! Everyone makes fun of Elder Smith, including the members. Everyone calls him Elder Clark Kent because he looks like Superman! Elder Smith is awesome! I'm also pretty sure that all the young women in the ward have a crush on him as well. :p Elder Ramponi is also awesome and this is his first transfer as a ZL. He is from Argentina and has a very different accent when he speaks Spanish. Everyone makes fun of him... For fun, of course! ;p For example, people in Ecuador say, "Yo"... and he says "Sho". When everyone says "Ellos", he says "Eshos." There is an "sh" sound in a lot of his words...  

When it comes to accents in Spanish, I can't really tell the difference unless it's really big like Argentina's accent. Another one is Cuba. Cubans speak Spanish so much differently than from those in Ecuador. I can only understand like 5% of what they say! Also I've met some people from Spain and they use the letter "z" very differently. Whenever there is a "z" in a word, they use a "th" instead. Anyway, it's been interesting to hear lots of different accents from people who speak Spanish and are from other countries other than Ecuador.

So those were the highlights of my week. I was really hoping for a baptism on my birthday this Saturday. I really tried hard, but for us it looks like that won't happen. :( But the ZL's in my area have one scheduled, so that is good! I wish you all an amazing week! I love you all! Until next Monday...

Elder Dyal


 Spencer and Elder Ramponi helped the primary by dressing as Prophets. 
Spencer was Enoch and Elder Ramponi was Adam.

 Enoch and Adam looking into the distance. These look like prophets, right?
Spencer and his companion Elder Galiego.... Also with 2 members of the ward that have Elder Galiego's nametags. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment