Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Week #33 - Calderón, Ecuador - March 16, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was an amazing week! I have such a terrific ward and leaders in my area! And I had a wonderful birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

On Saturday, I almost forgot it was my birthday! I remembered as I started to make breakfast for me and my companion. I decided that I wanted to do something fun to celebrate the day like buy a bunch of junk food and soda for my companion and I. But then I thought it might be hard to find the time because Saturday is one of the most busiest days of the week. We usually spend it trying to contact our investigators or inactives to invite them to church the next day. Because of this, I wasn't expecting that we would do much of anything on my birthday. But as I was making breakfast, someone knocked on the door. My companion asked if I would get the door. I expected it to be the dueño of the house with the water and light bills because we passed by him a few days before and he said he would come over with our bills on Saturday. I opened the door and the Zone leaders stormed in and sang Happy Birthday to me and "man hugged" me. They brought with them some eggs, a pineapple, and milk for breakfast, and they had made me some "cake balls". They really surprised me! It was awesome! Haha!

They made breakfast for the 4 of us and my companion decided to make pineapple juice with the milk and some of the pineapple. Elder Smith, one of the zone leaders asked him how to make it, and my companion responded by saying, "It's super easy. Any idiot can do it!" So he threw the milk and pineapple in the blender with a little sugar. Elder Smith was the first to try it and said it was disgusting. Then I tried it. I didn't think it was bad...It just tasted like pineapple milk, although a little weird. My companion and Elder Ramponi also didn't like it! Then my companion said, "Well, I'm intelligent and not an idiot, so I couldn't do it I guess." Hahaha!

The whole day after that, my companion kept telling everyone that we met or ran into that it was my birthday which basically obliged people to give me a gift of some sort. People were very nice to me though. But what I really wanted for my birthday was a baptism which didn't happen for us. Luckily, the zone leaders had one that day and we went to the baptism to support them and the girl they were baptizing. The mission leader and his wife were at the baptism as well and afterwards they surprised me with a birthday cake. I still have no idea how he knew it was my birthday, but it was so nice. The tradition here is that after they sing the Happy Birthday song, the birthday person takes a bite out of the cake without using their hands. But while the person does this, someone always sneaks behind and smashes their face in the cake. I already knew this beforehand so I was super cautious as I was leaning down to take a bite. But the mission leader's wife who was holding the cake, lifted it up into my face as I was taking a bite. I totally didn't see that coming...It was pretty funny!

I was so grateful for my leaders and the ward for everything they did for me on my birthday. They made it so awesome! I'm also thankful for your emails this week. My birthday was awesome thanks to everyone!!!! I'm thankful for your support and for everything you guys do for me!!! I wish everyone a great week!

Elder Dyal




 On Spencer's Birthday in his apartment --
Elder Dyal, Elder Smith
Elder Ramponi, Elder Galiego

Missionaries acting silly!

Elder Smith really should clean his teeth 

 Birthday cake for Elder Dyal

 Singing Happy Birthday

 Almost got him the first time, but not quite....

 Then they got him!!

Cleaning up his face

Elder Galiego and Elder Dyal with cake face

Elder Dyal in Downtown in Llano Grande

Today on P-day in Downtown Quito






No comments:

Post a Comment