Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, May 4, 2015

Week #40 - Calderón, Ecuador - May 4, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been different and slow. Because I have a new companion, I had to show him around the sector. It's different having an American companion...the first one I've had! We speak English a lot but we've found that we can't speak it as well as we use to especially when we need to explain something. I've been in the mission field for 9 months and my companion has one more change than I do, so he's only been out 10 months. So really, we are still pretty new, more or less. I'm thinking when I've been out for over a year, maybe I won't feel new anymore. We'll see! :)

Although we have noticed that we do draw more attention when we are out. Two Americans on the bus or walking down the street is something most Ecuadorianos haven't seen very often, especially in a little city like Llano Grande. Also it's been weird though, because things around town have been more unusual than normal. We were walking down the street in a part of Llano Grande that isn't super populated, it was mostly residential, and a car passed by. The woman in the car rolled down her window and told us in English, "Mormons aren't welcome in this neighborhood". At first we thought she was joking and my companion kind of laughed and went to shake her hand. Then the woman slapped his hand away and repeated, "Mormons aren't welcome in this neighborhood," and then she drove off. Then, the next day we saw a guy lying on the ground, probably drunk, and he was half naked...It was not a pretty site :/ Both experiences seemed unusual for this area, at least while I've been here.

Although definitely the best part of the week was the baptism we had on Saturday. We planned on having 2 baptisms, but the other sister that was going to be baptized that day had an emergency and had to take her little kid to the hospital. I guess the little one was super dehydrated, but luckily everything is fine with them now. It was just unfortunate timing because they had to miss the baptism. But our investigator Natalia got baptized and I was fortunate to be the one to baptize her! Although for some reason I wasn't prepared ahead of time. It didn't occur to me that I would be getting wet I guess, and I forgot to bring a towel and a extra pair of garments. So after the baptism, the bottom part of my shirt and the top part of my pants were wet. Luckily I had dark pants on and I'm not even sure if anyone really noticed until I said something about it afterwards. Hahaha! :p

Hopefully we can have the other baptism soon with Mirella. We have been working hard on teaching and preparing this family and they recently got married so they could get baptized.

So those were the highlights and events of my week! Hope everyone has a wonderful week and happy Mother's Day!

Elder Dyal



Baptism of Natalia

Elder Higgins and Elder Dyal with Natalia and her family

Elder Dyal with President and Sister Richardson and his zone in Calderon 
during a specialized training meeting

Elder Dyal and the Calderon zones during a specialized training meeting

Elder Dyal and the Calderon zones during a specialized training meeting

At the end of their meeting, they have a special Quito North Mission cheer


No comments:

Post a Comment