Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Week #41 - Calderón, Ecuador - May 11, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

I can't believe 6 weeks have flown by since my last transfer! Geez, it's almost hard to believe! Although because my companion got switched in the middle of transfers, I keep thinking it's been 2 transfers instead of 1! I'm also a bit nervous because I don't want to leave this ward! I have gotten really close with so many of the members and investigators! But I do know that whatever happens will be for the best even if it's not what I want. I guess we will see what happens. I could go anywhere! The coast, rainforest, the orient, or back to the city. Although it's important to remember, if I get changed to the coast or the orient next Monday (transfer day), I will probably not have enough time to write an email because I will be traveling. So just keep that in mind for next week...

This week we had the baptism of Mirella Garcìa, which was probably one of the most spiritual baptisms I have been to. This family has literally changed so much from when the missionaries first found them. They were really unhappy and about to split up... and now they got married, baptized, and are really strong in the gospel... and are now planning to get sealed in the temple. It was really a miracle how Elder Keyes found them. I'm so glad we were able to help teach them and then witness the baptism. Her husband, who was a member, was able to baptize her which was super neat to witness!!!

Also for Mother's Day, the ward had another talent show. But we were ready this time! Instead of embarrassing ourselves again with a dumb skit that we never practiced, we prepared a musical number. It was so much easier to practice than a skit. But the young men in the ward performed a pretty funny skit which had the whole audience laughing a lot. During one of the last acts of the skit, one of the YM, who was actually recently baptized, had an inflamed appendix somehow. He was really in a lot of pain. My companion and I gave him a priesthood blessing, and then his dad drove him to the hospital. Last I heard, he is doing well and will be up and around soon.

Also, just like every missionary around the world, I was able to call my family on Mother's Day, except I was fortunate to be able to skype. It was also interesting because I got to hear people speaking REAL English again, something I haven't heard in a long time! (At least since our call on Christmas.) :p It definitely made my week to see and talk with them again!!! They asked me to give them my testimony in Spanish, so before the call was over, I did. Afterwards, they said my Spanish was really good and that I even had an accent while I talked. I don't know about an accent, I will take their word for it, but I'm glad they thought my Spanish sound good because everyone in this area says my companion speaks better Spanish than I do. It's still a bit hard for me to pronounce the letter "rr" sometimes! :/

I hope everyone had an awesome Mother's Day!!!! Thanks for your support! Talk to you after transfers!!! :p

Elder Dyal 

 The baptism of Mirella Garcìa
with Elder Higgins and Elder Dyal

 The baptism of Mirella Garcìa
with Elder Higgins and Elder Dyal

Lots of family and friends attended the baptism of Mirella Garcìa



No comments:

Post a Comment