Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Week #43 - Calderón, Ecuador - May 25, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

It's always an interesting few weeks after a new change. If you get moved to a new sector and new ward, then you spend several weeks learning the area and getting familiar with the ward. Since that wasn't the case for me, the only thing I had to get used to was my new companion. It usually takes a while to adjustment to a new companion, especially after getting so comfortable with your old one. When I was with my first companion and trainer, Elder Arcaya, and also when I was with Elder Galiego, they were big jokesters and loved to joke around with everyone. I loved it too, but found that I needed to keep them on track a lot. And when I was with Elder Ordoñez and also Elder Caballero, they liked to be the leader and talk way more than I did. My new companion Elder Gebs, is more of a quiet and reserved guy so I have found that I have needed to open up a bit more. It's not too much of a problem because I know the people and the area better than he does. But also because I have been learning how to be a better leader while with all my other companions, so this is good for me. Each companionship has been a learning experience.

We've had some really good luck this week with our "contacting." I'm not sure why, but it has been way more effective. We found 2 new families and also a guy named Mauro. It has been pretty awesome! We have several appointments to go back and teach them more. After teaching one of the families one evening, they asked us if we wanted any limes. We thanked him and said yes, and he came back with a huge bag of limes! Ever since then, we have been handing out limes to people that we meet and talk to and we've also been making lime juice and using it in our cooking. It's been so cool.

Last Saturday, we had a bit of a weird experience. After we left a missionary leadership meeting and while waiting for the bus, a "gringa" or American girl approached us. She recognized that we were also Americans and wanted to talk to us. It was kinda weird to present ourselves in English. Never done that here before. She asked us what we were doing here, and we told her about it, and she told us what she does (I honestly don't remember). And while we were talking, a guy who was driving by, saw us "Americans" talking, and he parked his car and came up to us and asked us if we could help him with his English homework! Hahaha!

So ever since Elder Higgins and I baptized Natalia several weeks ago, there has been a baptism every week! We had 2 baptisms in a row, then the ZL's baptized a family the week after that, then the sister missionaries had a baptism, and now there's another planned this week! And Elder Higgins and Elder Tellez told us that next month, there should be several more baptisms! We got a trend going! Hope it continues for awhile.

For those of you who send me letters through "Dear Elder.com", I just wanted you to know how much I always enjoy reading your letters! They truly lift my spirits and help and inspire me. This week, I got one that was sent during Easter Weekend. I notice they aren't delivered very quickly, but that's okay. I'm just always grateful to get letters in the mail. Sorry if I don't respond right away to them but I do always get them. Thank you so much!

And thank you all for your prayers on my behalf. They really do help me! Have a great week everyone and a great Memorial Day!

Elder Dyal

Missionary Leadership Meeting in Calderon
(Can you spot Elder Dyal?)

Missionary Leadership Meeting in Calderon
(Can you spot Elder Dyal?)

Missionary Leadership Meeting in Calderon
(Can you spot Elder Dyal?)



No comments:

Post a Comment