Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Week #48 - Esmeraldas, Ecuador - June 29, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

Well, today was a bit of an interesting day. It is transfer day! And in the past, I have usually had a feeling if I will be changed or not, and for the most part, I have an idea of where I'm going. But this time, I really had no idea...Nothing... I thought I was going to transfer the last time, and then I ended up staying in La Luz, so this time, I wasn't going to guess because I'm usually wrong.

When my companion Elder Gebs, answered the call about our changes, I couldn't over hear what was being said. He got off the phone and before he said anything, I told him, "Don't you dare tell me I'm going to the coast!" But he smiled and told me I was....Hahaha! :p I guess I was a little prepared since so many of the other missionaries left from La Luz to Esmeraldas (the coast).

If you look on a map of the mission, you'll see Esmeraldas on the very top left. It is the most dangerous part of the mission, kinda like downtown Detroit would be the most dangerous part of the Detroit mission. Everyone tried to scare me about it, or maybe prepare me for it. It turns out that most of things they said are kinda half true, but it looks like I will be learning more about it in the weeks to come. But it's super hot here! Way hotter than Quito! I'm sweating right now just writing this email and my companion just told me he feels cold... :o What?!?!

Well, I spent most of the day getting here, so sorry this letter is going to be quick since I'm short on time. The bus ride was like 6 hours or so...I actually started out the day feeling kind of sick. Then bouncing around on the bus, it just got worse :/ until I finally made it to the back of the bus to the bathroom and threw up! Let me just say, it's extremely hard to throw up on a bus that is going 60 miles per hour on a winding road in the jungle...I don't recommend it! ;p

Here at the coast, it really feels like summertime. In Llano Grande, it was really showing signs of summer as it was starting to feel warmer, and lots of wind, and hardly any clouds in the sky. And because Llano Grande has so much loose dirt all around, lots of times if you are outside, you had to close your eyes when the wind picked up.

I guess I would be lying if I told you guys I wasn't a bit disappointed to leave the area I had come to love and pick up and transfer to Esmeraldas, but now that I'm finally here, I'm okay, I guess. When I figured out who my companion was, it made me more excited because I already kinda knew him. Elder Huber is my companion and he was in my zone in La Luz from December up till February.

Anyway I hope you guys have an awesome week! Enjoy the heat of the summer! I hope I will as well! :p

Elder Dyal

PICTURES FROM THE CALDERON ZONE CONFERENCE LAST WEEK:










No comments:

Post a Comment