Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Week #53 - Esmeraldas, Ecuador - August 3, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

This has been a much better week since I came back from Quito to Esmeraldas last Tuesday. It's been interesting though because apparently this week marks the anniversary of Esmeraldas becoming a province of Ecuador. Because of that, literally everyone has been partying and partying....and partying a little bit more! It's made for an interesting week because everyone's buying so much stuff and when they see the two of us, automatically people think we have lots of money. 

Luckily we haven't been robbed though and that's a real good thing because unfortunately it happened to some other missionaries in Propicia, which is farther down from Aire Libre, my last area. But the gangs in our sector have been fighting with each other. Apparently a relative of some of the members of the church got killed and it has stirred up a lot of anger or something. The good thing is that the gangs reassure us that they will protect us. We were walking down the street on Friday and someone yelled, "Hermanos," and signaled us to come over. We went and talked to them a bit. One of them was a leader of one of the gangs and he told us that if anyone messes with us, to let him know and they would pay for messing with us. Whatever works I guess, just to make sure we don't get robbed or hurt. No one would kill us though. If you even walk in Esmeraldas with a gun, the police will beat you up and throw you in jail. So because of that, basically no one carries guns. That actually kinda makes the "gang fights" a bit funny because they don't have guns so they just throw rocks at each other. Sounds more like a big game of dodge ball to me than a gang fight! :p

Anyway, other than "Mobsters and Mormons", Esmeraldas has been a bit rainy the last couple days but I can deal with it now. My foot has almost healed all the way. I'm currently in Quito for another doctor's appointment that I have tomorrow. I only have 4 little holes where the doctor squeezed out the puss in my foot. I can walk normally now, just can't run very well. But I will with time as it heals more. I'm thinking that tomorrow, the doctor will most likely just give me more medications because I'm almost out, but also make sure the infection is gone.

So the news about our investigators is that we have 2 families that are planning on getting married so that they can get baptized. If everything works out with them, that will be 5 baptisms! But as always, the money needed for a wedding will be a bit of a problem. We will have to see what happens I guess...

Everyone have a wonderful week! Enjoy your summer! :D

Elder Dyal





No comments:

Post a Comment