Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Week #60 - Esmeraldas, Ecuador - September 21, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

So it's been a long and interesting week. 

On Saturday we had the baptism of Edison Ángulo. He is a pretty sweet little kid. All of his family are members of the church minus his step mom and step sisters. His dad is inactive and we really encouraged him to come to the baptism, but he didn't...But we were grateful for the other family and ward members who came to support him. It was great to have a baptism!

And yeah, today was transfers! My companion, Elder Huber left on the bus to go to Quito on Sunday after church. All the members we super emotional about it. We were kind of caught off guard about it because no one seemed to make a big deal about him leaving until they figured out he was leaving to go home because this was his last area, and suddenly everyone was like "Elder Huber! Nooooo! Don't leave!" Elder Huber was pretty surprised about it! So many people told him to take them with him and the girls kept telling him to come back to marry them and take them to the states. Hahaha! Well, because it actually did happen with one of the missionaries a while ago, now all of them have this fantasy that it's going to happen to them! Crazy! :/

Also last Sunday, we took soooo many pictures it was crazy! Elder Huber took the camera cord I was using because I lost mine, so I won't be able to send pictures until I get the new one that my mom sent in a package. It hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, Elder Huber and I also gave talks on Sunday. Elder Huber began to cry in his talk. Hahaha! I know he's emotional about leaving, but I never thought I would see that! :p

Now Elder Cabezas is here with me as my new companion in Aire Libre. He seems like a pretty cool guy but he's super quiet and reserved. I'm pretty sure he will talk more once he gets to know me and the area better. 

You would think that being a missionary for as long as I have, I would be really good at talking to everyone by now, but I'm still having trouble with that sometimes. I hate forcing conversations out of people. I can usually start a conversation fine and keep it going for awhile, but when they don't give me anything back, it's been kind of frustrating. But I have 10 more months to get better at that. That's plenty of time to learn, right? 

Well, that's the same situation that we have with our investigator, Diana. She hardly ever talks to us at all. Patience is definitely a virtue God wants me to develop here. In more ways than one! Esmeraldas is a character building city for all the missionaries that come here. There's the good days and the bad days, but that can probably be said about any area. But I'm still trying to decide if I like it here or not. I have 6 more weeks, then I'll probably transfer after that. I'm sure I'll be sad when I move on.

People here have been talking about a weird weather event that may take place soon called El Fenomeno del Niño. From what I understand, it rains for like a week straight in Ecuador, but mainly on the coast, because the waters in the Pacific are warming up. It doesn't happen very often. Something like every 3-8 years, but I guess it's predicted to happen again sometime soon. Last time it happened a lot of people got trapped in their houses and some people died or almost died. Luckily, our apartment is at the top of a hill so it probably won't effect us. We'll see what happens. Someone told us it's supposed to come at the end of September...I'll keep you updated.

Anyways, have a wonderful week everyone! Thanks for your letters and prayers!!!!

Elder Dyal





No comments:

Post a Comment