Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Week #61 - Esmeraldas, Ecuador - September 28, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

It's been an awesome week! But like every first week of a new transfer, it's a bit slow getting used to everything: the new companion, introducing him to the sector and people, etc. Elder Cabezas is a super cool guy, or as I like to call him, Elder Heads. Cabezas means heads in Spanish. I already kinda knew him from when I was in Quito. We were in the same zone during one of my changes. And he is the first companion I have had that's from Ecuador. He's from a town called Babahoyo, which is close to Guayaquil. Actually every companion that I've had so far has been from a different country or state...There has been Boliva, Paraguay, Chile, Honduras, Guatemala...And my American companions were from different states: Texas, Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho. So far I haven't had a repeat. And it's good to have a Latino companion again so we can speak strictly Spanish all the time. If not, my Spanish gets rusty.

So the mail comes super slow here in Esmeraldas. I placed an order for a new placa 3 months ago and it still hasn't come. Anything that goes through the mission office takes a long time to get to Esmeraldas so I haven't gotten the package yet. It was nice when I was in Quito because I got mail quickly, but it's cool to have area changes (I was in Quito for 8 months). 

All the missionaries here are super pumped for general conference! :D We are super excited to see who will be the new apostles!!! Usually during conference, there is a room for Americans to be able to watch it in English. If I want to, I can watch in Spanish...I mean it's perfectly fine to do that and I can understand everything they say at this point, but the messages don't remain in my head and it's hard to remember them later. I watched the Christmas devotional in Spanish last year and that's what happened then, but that was almost a year ago now...so who knows? Maybe I'll try a session in Spanish and see how it goes.

So this week in our sector, Elder Heads and I aren't doing so good with our investigators. We started out the week with 2 investigators who had baptismal dates, but by the end of the week they both fell through. Diana's dad doesn't want her to get baptized and she herself completely lost interest in being taught or being baptized. The YM and YW in the branch went on their trip to Ibarra, and while they were gone she seemed to lose interest, but that's what I was expecting... :/ Our other investigator, Jesús Bustos is a super cool guy but just can't ever attend church because of his work and he doesn't have any Sunday clothes so he is embarrassed to come to church. He has come in the past but it's been a while now.

Anyway that was our week. Hope you all have a great week and enjoy general conference!

Elder Dyal



No comments:

Post a Comment