Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, November 9, 2015

Week #67 - Coca, Ecuador - November 9, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

Last Monday was transfers so I'm sorry I wasn't able to write my weekly letter. It was also a bit crazy! I took changes to Coca which is in the Orient. This meant I had to make a super long bus trip. Literally from the polar west of the mission to the polar east. On Monday, we left for Quito and called the asistantes and asked them for instructions on how to get to our area. They told us that we had to go to Quitumbe (in the other mission), then head out to the Orient the same day (which I knew was a bad idea). When Elder Arrieta and I got to Quitumbe, all the buses to Coca were filled or were leaving late that night, so we just went back to San Carlos and helped the elders there for the rest of the night in Quito.

Then again on Tuesday morning, we left for Quitumbe and found out that the buses to Coca were filled up again. So we took a risk and decided to take a bus to Tena, which is halfway to Coca in another part of the Orient, and hoped a bus would be able to get us to Coca that day. When we arrived, we waited about 45 minutes for a bus to arrive. I was getting worried that we wouldn't be able to catch a bus that day, so I said a prayer with Elder Arrieta and not even a minute later, a bus going to Coca came by and had enough room for us on it! The power of prayer is amazing!

Going from Quito to Esmeraldas (my last area) took a long time, but was direct and easy...but going from Quito to Coca is definitely a lot harder since you have to change buses several times, and it takes a lot longer to get there. To be honest, this transfer really surprised me! I felt like I would be transferred, but I wasn't expecting to go to the Orient. Only the missionaries that the mission president really trusts go to the Orient because it's super far away from the mission home. 

The zone itself is different than any other area I've been in. There are only 6 companionships...3 in Coca (where I will be) and 3 in a city called Lago Agrio. What's more weird is that the zone leaders are spilt up...1 in Coca and 1 in Lago Agrio. Also, the zone is HUGE. Lago and Coca are 2 hours from each other and the zone goes all the way to Quito. Just my sector is 2 hours getting from one point to the other. Bigger than all my other sectors combined.

But yeah, I went from one extreme to the other. Super fun!!!!!!! I am up against the rainforest and a few days ago I saw a toucan! Now I just need to see a monkey!

I love you guys! I hope everyone enjoyed el dìa de los muertos!

Elder Dyal 


 My companion Elder Perez and I in our apartment

 Another view of our apartment

Our lunch today...

 Elder Perez and I ate mayones, which are worms that the Indians find in palm trees and like to eat! Què rico!


YOUTUBE VIDEO ON THE MAKING OF MAYONES IN ECUADOR:


No comments:

Post a Comment