Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, February 1, 2016

Week #79 - Otavalo, Ecuador - February 1, 2016

Querido familia y amigos,

Sorry I didn't write last week. I was on the road all day since it was transfers and I got changed. It was surprising to me and a bit sad. I wasn't expected it because usually the missionaries who are called to work in the Orient usually stay for at least 3 transfers or more. And then our investigator Santo, who we worked so hard with was baptized 2 days ago and I wasn't there to see it. That made me kinda bummed. 

But now here I am in Otavalo again, which is pretty awesome! It's been over a year since I was here but I was in the city of Cayambe which is about 45 minutes away, so I never got to know Otavalo very well. 

The weather and climate are very different than the Orient. It's been interesting getting use to it. It's not as so very hot in Otavalo as it was in the jungles of Coca. I think it's like the perfect temperature every day, although the people here think it's cold. And there are a lot of mountains and hills. I've had to get used to climbing up and down each day. I got pretty use to the flatness of the Orient.

My ward, Centenario, is full of indiginous people (Indians) that all speak a language called Quechua. Listening to the talks and lessons in church was interesting because it was in half Quechua and half Spanish. Goodness! It made me feel like I had started my mission all over again because I don't know this language. It will be interesting! But the ward is huge! There are so many members of the church in Otavalo. And the members are super helpful and a great support to the missionaries. In Coca, the ward was small the members didn't help the missionaries very much, so this is a wonderful transition. And we already have a baptism planned for the 13th of Febuary! And thanks to the members for helping and being so welcoming, she is progressing super fast!

Anyway have a great week everyone! Kayacama! (Hasta luego in Quechua) 

Elder Dyal





No comments:

Post a Comment