Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Week #81 - Otavalo, Ecuador - February 15, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been pretty awesome!

Just like last year, President Richardson has begun the 'Faith of February' and 'Miracle of March' in our mission. Seems like it wasn't a whole year that we did this before...went by fast! So in the month of 'Faith of February' we decide things we sacrifice that month so we can get miracles (baptisms). And like last year, we have come up with some personal sacrifices, and also the President also suggested a few things we could sacrifice as missionaries. For example, he said we should not listen to any EFY music and have no activities on P-day. I'm pretty much going to have similar sacrifices to last year, like I'm going to fast every Sunday and I'm going to wake up earlier in the morning to have extra study time. In March, President promises us the miracles of our sacrifices and hard work. He also gives prizes to the zones with the most baptisms and reactivations. I'm going to be in a big zone so hopefully we win this year! Hahahaha! We will see... It's been half a month and we are already starting to see the fruits of our sacrifices. We now have 3 people progressing and all with a baptismal date!

Elder Marron and I are getting along pretty well despite our differences. We made goals together to work on certain Christ-like attributes. He is working on Virtue and Patience and I'm working on Faith and Humility. I'm so glad he has a good attitude about working hard. Getting to know him better I've learned that he has only been a member of the church for a little less then 2 years and is the only member in his family. Must be hard, but I'm impressed with his faith to serve as a missionary. It helps to have more insight into people to understand them more.

It's been very hard trying to understand the language Quechua. I'm not motivated to learn much more of it because its confusing. It doesn't make any sense to me because half the time it's mixed with Spanish anyway, especially at church. And most people who speak Quechua also speak Spanish so I just haven't made too much of an effort to try to learn it. There are only like 4 things I can say: yes, no, what's your name, and see you later.

Yesterday just ended week 3 of this transfer which also means interchanges. My district leader Elder Nielsen left to go to Quito and Elder Bahr took his place. And it also looks like I will be seeing an old friend I haven't seen in a while. Elder Caballero who was my second trainer in the mission (and my step-dad, hahaha!) just got changed into this zone so I can't wait to see him. Hahaha! I love that guy!

Our mission is lucky enough to have Elder Jeffery R. Holland come visit us this week. He speaks to us at a missionary conference this Wednesday and he is also coming to Otavalo to speak to us in stake conference. It's a really big deal and everyone is very excited about it! The mission gave us a whole sheet of rules just for the meeting with him! It will be interesting and I hope to find it very spiritual and uplifting.

Have a great week everyone! Thanks for your emails and prayers.

Elder Dyal 

PICTURES FROM SPENCER'S LAST AREA OF COCA:

 Our investigator Santo's family - Familia Ponce-Garcia (Santos in yellow shirt)

 Downtown Coca 

 Downtown Coca

Downtown Coca

 Elder Jeffery and Elder Dyal with Daniel y Ericka







No comments:

Post a Comment