Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Week #89 - Otavalo, Ecuador - April 11, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

This week has been great in our missionary progress. 

Every time we go out teaching with a member of the ward, they usually suggest visiting a less-active that we didn't even know about or an old investigator that used to come to church but hasn't come in a long time. This week we went out with the Sunday School president and he suggested visit a less-active lady in the ward, and she only knows Quechua. She can barely speak Spanish, so he was able to help translate so we could understand. I still can't really understand Quechua. The conjugations don't make sense to me and no one explains it very well so that I can understand what everything means. So I have been learning words here and there, but nothing that makes sense in a sentence. But it was cool going out with Brother Cacuango, the Sunday School President, since he use to be a missionary not too long ago. He also used to be part of the bishopric in the ward. I can see myself wanting to go out with the missionaries a lot after my mission too.

Bishop Ruiz asked me a few weeks ago to play piano during sacrament meeting. His wife usually plays every week, so it was weird that he asked me to play. I haven't played in a while, but I accepted. I realized that I've gotten pretty rusty and can not play like I used to. I struggled a lot with keeping up the pace as the congregation was singing. When I was in Cayambe in September through November in 2014, the branch president asked me to play every week and I was still pretty good, but since it's been a while, I struggled with even some of the basic hymns. And about 2 weeks ago, there was a wedding and they asked to me to play. I completely butchered the hymns, but the good thing is that most people have never learned piano so they probably didn't notice too much. But it would be really nice to lay some time aside to practice if it were possible.

This week is also week 6 into this transfer, so on Sunday we will be getting changes and probably our travel papers for going home. After this week, I will only have 2 more transfers and then I'll go home (12 weeks). There are 2 places in the mission that I haven't been yet, Ibarra and Tulcán. I'm thinking I'll probably go to at least one of those places, and it would be cool to go to Tulcán, but I guess it really doesn't matter. I'll go wherever I'm assigned and needed. Mostly I would like to have really good companions who want to focus on working hard until I finish. I guess we will see what happens...

Have a great week everyone. Thanks for your emails and prayers.

Elder Dyal 

Otavalo specialized training with President Richardson a few weeks ago


No comments:

Post a Comment