Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Week #91 - Comité Del Pueblo, Ecuador - April 25, 2016

Dear family and friends,

We had a pretty good week here in Comité del Pueblo in Quito. The first week of a change is always an adjusting week to almost everything. You need to get use to a new area, ward, investigators and companion. Plus, the Quito North mission is pretty diverse depending on where you go: climates, altitude, food and people. Each area I've been in has been totally different from the other. The Esmeraldas on the coast, Coca in the jungle, Otavalo with Indians who speak Quechua. So in many cases, you need time to adjust. The area I'm in now in Quito is pretty much a normal Latin city, but I'm in a new ward, investigators and companion.

The last time I was in Quito was about a year ago when I was in the Vergel Ward in the Calderón stake. Since then, I have been to Esmeraldas, Coca, and Otavalo. Something I had forgotten about Quito was the way people speak. I forgot how well people speak here. In Otavalo, people really don't speak Spanish correctly. In Esmeraldas it was even worse. And each area has their own slang. So it's nice that people use the Spanish grammar correctly here and for the most part, the people we teach can understand all the words in the scriptures.

One thing I really enjoy about Quito, and I was telling Elder Vail this as I was leaving last week, is that the people here are, for the most part, are fairly normal city folk. It's been a while since I have been able to contact typical and normal Ecuadorian people on the road, or as we knock on doors. I know everyone is different in their own way, but outside of the big city, it's a different life. In Otavalo for example, if we could get to the house without a billion dogs barking at us and attacking us, it was unusual. Or having an old man or woman answering the door with only half their teeth, who couldn't read, was passed out drunk, or only spoke Quechua was pretty much what we expected. I guess that was pretty normal for country folks, but I forgot what it was like in the city. It's been nice to be able to practice my Spanish the way I learned it again. 

The Calderón zone is now the biggest one in the mission, and on Friday we had a zone meeting. After the meeting I found one of the families I knew who was in the Vergel ward, my old ward from a year ago. It was the Guerrero family, and the youngest daughter didn't remember me, at least I think. It seemed like she remembered me until she looked at my nametag and pronounced it wrong, like most people do. Her older sister on the other hand, got excited and said, "Elder Dyal, how are you? Where are you now? " Apparently her dad, Brother Guerrero who was the mission leader, now has a stake calling and comes to Comité every once in a while. That makes me super excited! It's great to see some old friends from the Vergel Ward!

Comité del Pueblo itself is a pretty good ward. I really like and get along pretty well with the mission leader Brother Arauz. On Sunday, we were helping him move some stuff in his house and my pants ripped and he thought it was hilarious! Speaking of my pants ripping, that's been kinda a problem this week because another pair of my pants ripped during the zone meeting. No one heard the rip, thank goodness, but we had to rush home to change my pants afterwards. So that's 2 pairs of pants down. Now I'm worried how well my other pants are holding up!

My companion's name is Elder Ureta from some part of Peru. He is pretty cool, works hard but is kinda quirky. He talks to himself a lot and half of the time I can't understand him because he mumbles.

Anyways, have a great week everyone!

Elder Dyal 


No comments:

Post a Comment