Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Week #92 - Comité Del Pueblo, Ecuador - May 2, 2016

Queridos familiares y conocidos,

¡Feliz Mayo a todos ustedes!
           
I'm really enjoying being in the Calderón stake again. Apparently President Richardson said he thinks it's the best stake in the mission. I could probably agree with that. In my experience, the best stakes I have been in would be between Calderón, Quito, and Otavalo. Although Calderón is at the top of the list, but Otavalo is pretty close. The Calderón zone is the biggest zone in the mission, even with them closing a few sectors in Vergel, La Bota, and also here in Comité. Otavalo was a pretty big zone, too. I prefer large zones as opposed to small ones like we had in Esmeraldas or Oriente Norte.

Here in Comité, Elder Ureta and I are having a hard time finding and teaching investigators. Well, finding and teaching ones that will progress anyway. This week we have been teaching a girl named Shirley. We accidentally rang her doorbell when we were trying to find someone else. She opened the door and pointed to the doorbell of the person we were looking to talk with, but we took the opportunity and introduced ourselves and talked with her a bit. We also made an appointment to come back another day. When we came back to teach her later in the week, she actually started laughing when we taught her about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon! She told us she could really believe the information we taught her. Apparently she is part of the Adventista church (I don't know if that exists in the states or not) and she is super hard core religious. She had tons of questions and we had a pretty good discussion. I pray our discussions go somewhere and that spirit manifests the truth of what we teach her since she's our best bet with investigators right now. We also teach the Ocles and Muñoz family, but they need to get married before they can get baptized and they aren't really interested in that right now.

My companion and I have been teaching and training the ward missionaries lately. We want to get them more motivated to work. Although this week, no one did the teaching assignments that we gave them and only about 1/3 of them showed up to the training meeting on Sunday Morning. This Sunday just wasn't the best of Sundays I guess because Brother Cachipuendo, who is in the bishopric, said that the attendance was super low in church this week. Even though I really like the ward, my companion doesn't. He keeps talking about intermediate changes so I'm sure he thinks he will get transferred out this Sunday. I guess we will have to see what happens.

I haven't sent any pictures in a while since I don't like carrying my camera around in this area. I'm always worried about people stealing it, but I took a chance today and have sent a bunch of pictures from when I was in Otavalo. Enjoy!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there! Have a great week everyone! 

Elder Dyal

 Elder Vail and I 

 Elder Perez and I

 A cool bridge in Otavalo



 Mount Imbabura in the background

A sweet sunset in Otavalo


No comments:

Post a Comment