Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, May 9, 2016

Week #93 - Comité Del Pueblo, Ecuador - May 9, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

Elder Ureta and I had a pretty good week!

It seems like we are doing a lot better in finding people to teach. We found a few people this week that we think have a lot of potencial. Also the ward assigned us to visit a less active member in the ward, and that went well. So slowly but surely, the missionary work here in Comité del Pueblo is getting better.

We have been trying to get the Familia Ocles to commit to baptism these last few weeks. Sister Ocles really wants to get married so she can be baptized, but Brother Ocles doesn't really want to get married. But this Sunday was the first time I saw Brother Ocles attend church! One of the sisters in the ward gave a super good talk in Sacrament meeting about living now in the moment, but she accidentally read a wrong scripture during her talk that said everyone needs to repent and be baptized, and that was awesome! And in Gospel Principles, the whole leccion was on baptism.  The meetings seemed prepared just for the ears of Brother Ocles, and it was great to see how happy he was after church, so I hope that is good news!

Also on Sunday since it was Mother's Day, the bishop brought in a bunch of cookies and ice cream, and during the 3rd hour, the elders quorum delivered the treats to the sisters in relief society. We also handed out flowers to all the women. And that evening, I was able to skype my family in Michigan! It was so great to talk with everyone! I was smiling ear to ear the whole time!

Today for p-day, we went to the Teleférico which is a cable car lift that takes tourists to the top of Pichincha Volcano in Quito. It is actually one of the highest aerial lifts in the world. It took about 20 minutes to get to the top. At the top there were restaurants, stores and hiking trails. And you could basically see all of Quito from the top, except it was kinda foggy today so we weren't able to see as much as we would have liked. But before we went back down though, we spent on long time for some reason at a really weird gift shop. As we were looking around the store and laughing and joking about a lot of the things there, 2 ladies walked in speaking French, or what we thought was French. I started talking to one of them, asking her where she was from and some other basic things. I actually wanted to try to talk to her in French because ever since Elder Webber said the closing prayer in German after a zone meeting, I have been trying to learn some basic words in French. But to my surprise, she was from Jerusalem and was speaking Hebrew. She explained that in Israel, people speak either English, Hebrew, or Arabic. Then she asked who I was and I told her I was a missionary for the church, but was from the United States and only in Ecuador for 2 years. She didn't know what a missionary was, so I kinda explained what I did. At first, I started speaking to her in Spanish but it seemed like she didn't understand Spanish very well since I was repeating myself over and over, so she asked if I could switch to English. So after that we spoke English. It wasn't a long conversation, but it was interesting. Anyway, I am sending some pictures from the top of Pichincha Volcano and the views we had of Quito.

So yeah, have a good week everybody! Hope the mothers had a good Mother's Day! Thank you for your prayers! 

Elder Dyal

 Mother's Day Skype

 At the top of Pichincha Volcano

 With Elder Ureta

 Views from the top of Pichincha Volcano





No comments:

Post a Comment