Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Week #95 - Comité Del Pueblo, Ecuador - May 23, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was a pretty ordinary week. Last Monday we had a big zone activity which we are only allowed to do once a transfer. It was pretty fun for those of us who went, but there was a big lack of participation, especially from the Americans in our zone. A lot of them complain and joke that the zone activities are always the same, so it was disappointing that a good amount of the zone didn't even participate.

A lot of the zone is pretty "old" in the mission which I thought was pretty cool at first, but now I feel it's more annoying than fun because during zone meetings a lot of them have the same attitude, that it's boring or always the same. Don't get me wrong, I like sarcasm as much as anyone, but I don't like negative sarcasm because I'm still trying to stay motivated to work hard and to enjoy these last few weeks before my mission is over. I guess I need to learn patience and tolerance. I'll keep working on that. 

I have been reading/listening to a lot of General Conference talks the last few weeks. It's been nice because these talks tend to lift one's spirit. So in the morning before a zone meeting, I read a conference talk or two and it helps me feel motivated and empowered, but by the end of the meeting I almost feel down. I've been learning that one's attitude can affect others, so be very careful with it and with those around you. One talk I found a few months ago that has really impacted me a lot is a talk given by Joseph B. Wirthlin in the April 2005 General Conference entitled "La virtud de la bondad." It speaks about kindness and how Christlike people should treat others. I invite you guys to read it!

This week there was another earthquake that happened on the coast. The epicenter was in the same place as before. Luckily, it wasn't as strong as the last one, and didn't do very much damage this time. It happened at like 2 or 3 AM but I was asleep and didn't feel anything. But the next day there was an aftershock and it was at about noon. I did feel that one! So crazy!

Last week the stake president gave my companion and I a reference of a less active/part member family. Actually, it is 2 families...and in one of the families, 3 of the children aren't baptized. I see this family as my one last attempt at a miracle before going home in a few weeks. We would really like to activate the parents of both families, as well as their Grandma, and also baptize the children. That would definitely be a miracle indeed. I would really appreciate your prayers for these families.

It's crazy how fast this transfer went by! This week we are starting week 6 of our transfer, so that means this Sunday I will probably get a new companion. It's most probable that Elder Ureta will transfer to another area and I will stay here in Comité del Pueblo, but anything can happen. I guess we will see. And it will be my last transfer before going home. Wow!

Have a great week everyone! Stay safe! Thanks for your prayers on my behalf! 

Elder Dyal 


No comments:

Post a Comment