Spencer is from Canton, Michigan and is called to serve in the Ecuador Quito North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from July 2014 - July 2016.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Week #99 - Comité Del Pueblo, Ecuador - June 20, 2016

Dear Family and Friends,

This week was an interesting and unique week.

Seems like everyone in this area has been getting sick the last few weeks, both missionaries and members. Unfortunately I got pretty sick as well. At first I think it was just a cold, but now I can barely talk. My throat has been pretty sore for 3 days now. It's just kinda annoying whenever I need to talk loud, cough, or laugh because it hurts.

This last weekend we witnessed some dangerous stuff here in Comité. My companion and I almost got robbed by 2 drunk guys who had knives, but luckily they were drunk enough that we had the chance to run away before anything happened. That was weird and unexpected because it was during the middle of the day. Then we saw another guy who was robbed right in front of us on Saturday! It completely freaked us out because we had our cameras with us and didn't want them taken! Scary! I'll be praying a lot this week!

On Saturday, we had the baptisms of the Fuenmayor kids. It was so awesome that their fathers were able to baptize them! We did have a bit of a problem with filling the font though. Usually the missionaries are in charge of filling the font, but this time we turned it over to a member in the ward because he likes to call himself the "boss of the church". He literally does call himself that. Well, the boss didn't start filling up the font early enough so when it was time for the baptism to start, the water still wasn't high enough. So my companion and I went and got the hose to help fill it up faster. But even then, lots of people were late for the baptism. So I guess it was lucky for us that everyone showed up late because we wouldn't have been ready in time. Literally every baptism I've attended on my mission, we have never started on time. It guess it's a cultural thing. This pattern applies for Sunday as well. Luckily this week, the families arrived early to church so they could be ready to be confirmed during Sacrament Meeting.

Also on Saturday, we went and ate lunch with the Marmol family. They wanted to teach us how to make Encebollado, which is a fish soup and probably one of the most famous dishes here in Ecuador. It was fun to learn how to make it, and it was pretty good! And today for p-day, my district went to Quicentro again. This time we went bowling. Compared to everyone else today, I bowled a pretty good game. But that's not because I'm getting really good at bowling, it's mostly because everyone else is worse than me at bowling! hahahaha! I didn't even break 100 points, I only got 80, so it's safe to say I am still terrible at bowling!

Anyway, that was my week. I hope all the dads had a great Father's Day! Thanks for your prayers on my behalf! 

Elder Dyal

BAPTISMS OF THE FUEN-MAYOR KIDS




MAKING ENCEBOLLADO SOUP WITH THE MARMOL FAMILY






BOWLING AT THE QUICENTRO FOR P-DAY


No comments:

Post a Comment